How can I get potential bipolar 35-year old son to see doctor for therapy and medication? I am planning an intervention whereby he gets locked out of my house and makes the choice to A) Go to doctor of B) Become homeless. Will this approach be effective or will it cause further crisis? He is impossible to live with in my house during bipolar moods.

    Always try to invite them first. You have to know your own limits and what you can and cannot live with. Having someone non compliant and non functional in your home is highly stressful. It is often a gamble if taking such a step would assist them in “waking up” and getting help or if they would just choose the lifestyle they are living in and go further down the scale. An intervention should always be done with professionals who will guide you with options. Making sure they have a place to go is important, even it if is a shelter. But giving the option of getting help and continuing to live there or going to Salvation Army or somewhere similar gives them some choice and gives you peace of mind. This is a very hard and difficult situation. You want to have is planned out well with guidance.